Table of Contents
Hello readers! as the title suggests, today we are going to talk about the best POS system for small businesses. Before discussing anything, let me throw you a question – According to you, Which POS system for small businesses shall be considered best?
Well, there is no perfect answer to it! That’s a matter of opinion! The best POS software does more than merely handle transactions, although this depends on the demands of the business. Instead, they provide software features that help you operate more efficiently, such as managing employees’ schedules, customer loyalty programs, and inventories from a single dashboard. But how can you know which would serve as the best small business POS?
We have prepared the list of the top POS billing software for small businesses in 2023 based on the pricing, usability, and functionality of dozens of rivals.
10 Best POS Systems for Small Business (Include Features, Price, Pros & Cons)
A more than tripling of the current size of the worldwide POS software market to $42.5 billion by 2027 is predicted by industry experts. Features like stocktaking, sales, and inventory management are all included in POS for small businesses.
POS systems are the combination of software and hardware required to handle and accept various kinds of electronic payments. The card acceptance machine is hardware, but the software runs the rest of the payment methods, processes, and ancillary value-added services.
Over time, point-of-sale terminals have come to play a vital role in many industries, particularly retail. In its original form, the point-of-sale terminal was primarily a card reader. Eventually, POS gadgets were upgraded to accommodate various contactless payment methods, such as mobile wallets.
Thanks to technological progress, we have ePOS systems for small businesses. This payment acceptance app can be run on a smartphone and take a limited number of digital payments without needing a card swipe machine.
1. Square POS
Square is a financial services firm headquartered in San Francisco, California. Square’s entry into the point-of-sale business is a significant step toward competing with other financial rivals.
Square provides POS billing software and devices to let companies take payments from customers. Its POS programs shine most in the hospitality and retail sectors, but it’s also a solid choice for firms providing other services.
Square is the finest POS system for small businesses since it meets the needs of a wide variety of enterprises at a reasonable price and is simple to use.
One of the only advantages of Square is its free point-of-sale plan. You need only accept payments via its system to take advantage of this choice.
Square’s pricing structure, based on the client’s sales rather than a fixed rate, Square’s pricing structure is attractive to startups and other companies with modest annual revenue. When purchasing in person, you will be charged a 2.6% transaction fee plus 10 cents (you can call it payment processing fees). There is a 2.9% + 30 cents processing charge for all online payments.
There are also two premium tiers available for a fee with Square POS systems: Plus and Premium. Pricing for the Plus plan is $60/mo/location with an additional $40/mo/POS device. With the Premium package, you may get personalized rates.
- Consumers pay you with their contactless cards.
- Connect to Square gadgets (cash drawers, receipt printers, and scales)
- The square POS system works fine on every mobile device (including iPhones, Android tablets, and iPads)
- If your internet is off, your payments won’t be disrupted with the square POS system won’t disrupt your payments.
- Integrated inventory management, customer management, and customer-rewards system.
- Easy-to-use POS system
- Adding and removing things is simple, which simplifies inventory management.
- You can add images to each item, making it identifiable
- Affordable for small businesses
- No subscription fees, monthly fees, and PCI compliance fees
- In customizable, hence limited features
- The processing fee is high, which is a massive cut to profit.
- No inventory management
While the Square POS system is free, a cost is associated with accepting credit card payments (2.6 percent plus 10 cents for each touch, swipe, or dip as a payment processing fee).
2. Moon POS
The Best POS system for small business that cares most about their customers. Whether you run a grocery store, convenience store, or any other type of retail business, a POS system can be a huge help, especially if it has customer relationship management (CRM) tools, a robust system to track inventory, employee management and any number of other features that can increase sales.
Our retail store billing software has been developed with security procedures in mind. Our point-of-sale billing software has been built with the most recent and strictest standards.
If you are running a grocery or a retail store, many items disappear from the store despite its seemingly unlimited supply of food and non-food items. You might enhance your store’s inventory management using POS software for supermarkets. The food shopping will go off without a hitch.
- Customer-Centric Approach
- Powerful retail integration
- High-End Security
- Thermal printer support
- management of multiple stores
- Powerful Inventory Management
- Interactive business reports seeing growth
- Easy to Customize POS system
- Budget-Friendly POS System
- Multiple Payment Integrations with Moon’s POS system
- Limited trial period offering limited features
The Moon POS systems for small business comes with two plans – Silver and Gold.
Silver will cost you $4.17 per month, and Gold will cost you $10 per month. Both plans come with their own set of functionalities.
Do You Wish to Accept Online Orders Using Moon POS?
Our POS billing software helps your restaurant or food outlet to accept online orders that automatically integrates with quick billing.
TouchBistro is the Best POS system for small businesses especially built for restaurants and bars, similar to the popular Toast app for iPad. With Touch Bistro’s POS billing software, companies may maintain their existing payment processor or search for the best rates, unlike Toast and Square.
TouchBistro is a unified point-of-sale (POS) and restaurant management system.
TouchBistro is a robust platform that integrates the most critical front-of-house, back-of-house, and guest interaction solutions for restaurants. It enables owners to spend less time manually connecting the dots and more time interacting with customers and expanding their company.
TouchBistro is quick, dependable, and simple to use. It has all the capabilities restaurant owners need to enhance sales, provide a fantastic guest experience, save time and money, and more. It was designed specifically for the restaurant sector.
TouchBistro is a worldwide leader in the restaurant industry, having powered over 29,000 restaurants in over 100 countries with its cutting-edge restaurant technology and unmatched commitment to client service and success.
This is one-way TouchBistro stands apart from Toast’s POS system, and its mobile reporting makes it an excellent option for mobile cafes, restaurants, and other similar enterprises.
- Tableside Order Management
- Floor Plan and Table Administration
- Mobile Transaction Processing
- Menu Management Staff Management & Scheduling
- Relationship Management with Clients (CRM)
- Track Inventory on the go
- Reporting and Analytics for Restaurants
- You may modify your menu with the POS system.
- It integrates seamlessly with TouchBistro POS.
- The POS system will also help you organize your table.
- You cannot import menus in the POS system.
- It is challenging to navigate this POS system.
- Solo: $69 per month billed yearly. Here, you will obtain 1 License.
- Dual: $129 per month billed yearly. Here you will obtain 2 Licenses.
- Team: $249 per month billed yearly. Here, you may get up to 5 Licenses.
- Unlimited: $399 per month billed yearly. Here, you have access to an infinite number of Licenses.
New Zealand’s Vend POS is a web-based POS for small businesses.
Vend is a cloud-based point-of-sale solution for all kinds and sizes of businesses. Tools for managing the customer experience, sales, inventory, customer data, and more are provided by Vend.
There is even an iPad-specific app for Vend, although it works just as well on Macs and PCs. It’s compatible with many point-of-sale devices already installed in the shop, such as cash registers, barcode scanners, and receipt printers. Users may keep making sales even if the internet goes down, thanks to an offline mode that will resynchronize once the connection is restored.
The touchscreen and mouse/keyboard input options in Vend allow a POS screen to be tailored to the most frequently used goods and functions. In addition, there are services like Shopify connections, sales reporting, customer information tracking, and inventory management.
Unlike other POS software, Vend is dedicated to traditional stores alone. In addition to Magestore POS, vend is among the top small company POS systems since it includes loyalty programs, store credits, sorting tools, offline processing, and product catalog management.
In addition, you may choose from a wide variety of payment methods, including PayPal, since Vend is compatible with so many different payment gateways. It’s great for small businesses since it’s a linear POS system.
- Offer inventory management capabilities.
- Integrate reports on sales, products, and employee management
- Support a variety of devices, including Mac and PC, for the POS system
- Include a dual display to boost transaction transparency for clients.
- Accept partial and split payment options, such as cash, credit cards, gift cards, and contactless mobile payments.
- Intuitive design reduces the need for extensive training for the POS system.
- Compatible with various business applications, including Xero accounting software and e-commerce solutions like WooCommerce, Shopify, and BigCommerce.
- Costly if additional shops are added with POS systems
- Only so much you can do to personalize those bills and receipts
- Deficiencies in all e-commerce-related areas
Based on how much of a particular service you anticipate using, you may choose from three different price tiers for this retail POS system for small businesses: Lite, Pro, and Enterprise.
Lite: Prices are $99 per month with a ceiling of $20,000 in monthly earnings.
Pro: Costs $129 monthly. Your company will need to switch to Pro if annual sales are exceeded more than three times.
Enterprise: Not publicized rates; contact information is required for a quotation.
5. Light Speed
Lightspeed Retail is a cloud-based POS system for businesses selling items in the following categories: clothes, footwear, bicycles, jewelry, pets, sports equipment, and home furnishings. Retailers may use features including inventory management, inventory control, cash drawer management, payment processing, purchasing order management, detailed customer management, accounting software connection, and interaction with point-of-sale devices like barcode scanners and receipt printers. Lightspeed’s omnichannel eCommerce platform unifies stock, customer, and sales data across all sales channels, making it easier for businesses to run efficiently.
The retail POS systems have multi-store features, such as synchronizing inventory across all locations, and mobile extensions, so employees can check stock and make immediate purchases from anywhere in the shop using an iPad. The retail POS systems include matrix-based capabilities for managing product variants, including size, color, and material, as well as serial number generation and tracking. Lightspeed Retail also provides customer service tools, including customer profiles, transaction logs, and analytics.
Lightspeed is subscription-based software that provides free custom onboarding and round-the-clock assistance. Lightspeed Retail POS is an iPad software that allows retailers to set up iPad POS systems in their shop, complete with the capability to take payments through gift cards, apply discounts, and more.
- Create and manage orders for store pickup and online ordering
- Provide 50 retail reports on sales, inventory, and staff performance.
- Membership fees and perks should be included in client retention strategies.
- Accept all prevalent means of payment.
- Provide inventory monitoring and a gateway for vendor management directly on the POS.
- Excellent reporting and analysis system
- 24-hour technical assistance
- It isn’t easy to navigate as many pos systems
- A difficult-to-use user interface
A monthly fee of $69 is the starting point for one of five available POS systems for retail businesses. A monthly fee of $29 is added for each extra storefront that you have.
Toast is a comprehensive POS system for small businesses designed to facilitate the acceptance and tracking of transactions for busy eatery proprietors.
Toast services eateries of varying sizes, including fine dining establishments, fast food joints, pubs, nightclubs, cafés, bakeries, and restaurant chains.
Toast POS is an adaptable POS system developed specifically for the restaurant and catering industries. This solution is meant to assist restaurant owners and managers in keeping up with the ever-evolving needs of their customers by providing convenient channels for online ordering, delivery, takeout, mobile app ordering, contactless payments, and the purchase of electronic gift cards.
Toast POS systems are a safe and secure cloud-based platform that allows users to access restaurant data from anywhere, on any mobile device, with regular feature improvements. The restaurant’s management may save money and showcase their best-selling goods with the help of the system’s extensive reporting and analytics capabilities.
Using these POS systems for small businesses may improve the effectiveness of stock control and other back-of-the-house tasks in a restaurant. All you need is a Toast terminal or the app on your mobile device to make the necessary menu adjustments, such as adding today’s specials. Toast Go tablets allow servers to take orders and handle payments at the table. Toast users may keep checks on customer drinks and find new mixes using these best POS systems, two features that add to the pleasantness of their customers’ Toast experiences. Diners may also use the Toast Kiosk for self-service alternatives.
Toast’s Payroll and employee Management is a time-saving solution that connects your restaurant’s point-of-sale and payroll software for streamlined time tracking, approvals, and human resources management. A restaurant owner may save money thanks to this connection since fewer software providers are needed. Employee morale in the hospitality business may be boosted because the Toast POS system automates standardized gratuities that promote fair tips.
- Connect to delivery and online ordering systems with online payments
- You may plot your tables on a map, keep track of client comments in real time, and immediately send tickets to the kitchen screens and order alerts.
- Include a suite of automated HR, payroll, recruitment tools, inventory management, loyalty program, etc.
- Provide mobile payments and ordering options, such as QR codes and mobile and touch wallets.
- Put small, pocket-sized terminals in customers’ hands so they may place orders and pay for them right at their tables.
- Assist with managing menus down to the item level, including cost breakdowns, reports on food waste and COGS, information on employee salary, customer spending, and restaurant performance metrics.
- Pricing is flexible
- 24/7 Tech support
- Quite Expensive with Add-Ons
- No free trial, 2-year contract
- Only available for Android
Toast’s small business POS system costs $0–$340 per month per terminal, plus transaction fees from your payment processor. The more your shop has point-of-sale terminals (POS), the more subscriptions you’ll require.
7. Clover POS
Clover offers unified POS systems for small businesses with specialized hardware adapted to the needs of various stores. This point-of-sale system comes with multiple deployment modes, including web-based and server-based versions, as well as choices for countertop hardware, mobile POS, contactless payments, and more. The most popular point-of-sale (POS) app for eateries.
The POS system simplifies several company operations, including taking payments, making sales, and keeping track of stock. Clover may be used instead of conventional hardware such as a cash register, paper receipt printer, label printer, barcode scanner, and others. We accept chip and PIN cards, credit card swipes, Apple Pay, and other contactless payment methods. Clover POS also handles vendor maintenance and purchase orders, syncs with QuickBooks, and has a time clock to keep tabs on employees’ punches and outs.
The Clover hardware lineup includes a variety of countertop stations, readers, and mobile payment terminals. Gift card branding, marketing promos, in-depth analytics, online shop connection, and more are just a few options in the Clover App Market.
The Clover POS dashboard provides real-time visualization of crucial data parameters for organizations. It’s also possible to keep tabs on orders, modify menus, and generate reports is possible.
One of the advantages of Clover hardware is how easy it is to set up and begin using. The hardware is ready to use as soon as you take it out of the box, and everything syncs seamlessly with the Clover dashboard.
Clover is an all-in-one POS system that allows you to manage your business from anywhere. You can use the Clover Go app to create orders, accept payments, and text receipts to your customers. At the end of the business day, you can see a complete history of your transactions.
- Clover’s POS system simplifies the process of taking payments from customers in any setting (faster payment processing)
- One centralized dashboard allows the coordination of operations throughout a network of stores and offices to process payments.
- The POS system also allows you to manage vacation requests and staff scheduling.
- Making an online menu and accepting orders from clients is now possible.
- Clover’s POS system may be used to keep track of client details and foster loyalty.
- Invoicing and monitoring consumer payments are possible.
- All the choices are great, and we appreciate the high quality of the hardware.
- The hardware requires little to no instruction to get up and running.
- In terms of processing fees, it is reasonably priced.
- Clover’s price structure can sometimes be clarified on the internet.
- Getting set up using Clover’s retail POS systems requires a conversation with a sales representative.
There is a 30-day free trial available for Clover if you’re interested. The business offers three distinct price points.
Costs associated with accepting credit cards: The fees for using Clover are 2.3% + $0.10 for in-store purchases and 3.5% + $0.10 for online purchases when the card is not physically present.
Clover’s monthly expenses vary from $14.95 to $94.85, depending on your chosen plan.
The Price of Hardware Clover’s hardware cost is customizable based on the features and configurations of small business owners. Those who purchase a Station, Mini, or Flex right now will be entitled to a $450 rebate. When buying hardware, be sure to inquire about this rebate.
After signing up, you’ll be presented with three pricing tiers: basic, intermediate, and premium. Different pricing structures apply to the many software and hardware solutions Clover provides for each pricing plan. These structures are based on your business and the number of extra features you want.
Shopify is an eCommerce platform company of the same name based in Ontario, Canada. Shopify POS was released in 2013, helping retailers run physical and online retail stores on their Shopify platform.
Shopify offers a small business POS system that consolidates several retail tasks into a single interface, including inventory management, payment processing, customer loyalty, and marketing. Managers can specify user roles, access restrictions, PINs, and commission split for their workforce.
Shopify POS includes both the core functionality you’d expect from a POS and the advanced capabilities your business will want in the future. You can manage your physical and virtual businesses with a single app, eliminating the need to maintain different stock levels, product catalogs, and payment gateways.
Offering local pickup, handling returns/exchanges, rewarding consumers via loyalty programs, and selling gift cards anywhere is simplified by synchronizing customers and orders across online and in-store channels.
Invest in a point-of-sale system that may help you attract customers.
Shopify POS is the perfect choice for small and medium businesses in any industry. Free POS software to sell on the go or at events. Shopify plans all store sales, inventory, and customer data in one place, making it the best choice for sellers using Shopify as an eCommerce platform.
- During the week of COVID-19, make products available for local pickup or delivery.
- Inventory management throughout sales channels.
- Build a mobile point-of-sale system so that employees may service consumers from various locations across the business.
- Shopify’s POS system for small businesses may provide insightful data on shop operations.
- Integrates seamlessly with the Shopify platform
- Therefore, minimum training is required for cloud bases POS system usage.
- To utilize point of sale pos, you must first register with Shopify.
- Inability to work on the desktop
- Prices are relatively high
The POS and Shopify determine the amount that shops pay plans they employ.
Shopify POS Lite: If you sign up for at least one of Shopify’s plans, it’s free. You must pay for each completed transaction (starts at 2.4 percent + 0 USD).
Shopify POS Pro: $89 per month plus credit card processing costs for one location.
9. EPOS Now
Epos Now is the best POS system for integrations for several reasons. Epos Now can scale with your company because of its flexible architecture, the wealth of valuable features, and integration with numerous payment gateways and over a hundred other programs.
As a product that welcomes cutting-edge technology and facilitates online sales, Epos Now is also highly recommended. Plus, Epos Now works with various third-party peripherals, so you may not even have to buy new gear. If so, you may get the necessary equipment from Epos Now.
Epos Now was the most user-friendly POS billing software due to its many helpful extras and the personalized training we received before we started using it.
- It has a touch-screen POS system.
- Optional receipt printer, barcode scanner, and cash drawer are available for portable POS systems (You can add on the hardware you need to create a custom solution for your business)
- Epos Now also connects with various third-party solutions, providing different system functionality possibilities.
- Epos Now is so simple to use that it can be taught to staff in 15 minutes.
- This is particularly useful if you have a high staff turnover rate.
- Epos Now does not provide an online support community forum.
Attempt it risk-free for 30 days with no obligation. Prices start at $39/month (plus $24/month for each additional user’s account). The yearly premium is $69, with extra monthly fees of $45 for each additional user’s registration. Enterprise: Get in touch with Epos Now immediately to get an individual price quotation.
10. QuickBooks POS
Intuit’s QuickBooks is a popular accounting program. Intuit’s desktop POS system, QuickBooks, syncs seamlessly with the accounting software. Small and medium-sized enterprises may benefit from QuickBooks’s offerings as POS providers.
The retail POS system QuickBooks Point of Sale is adaptable to a wide range of enterprises, including boutiques, small franchises, specialty shops, and general merchandise stores. A tablet-friendly point-of-sale system, stock and customer management utilities, and a comprehensive merchandising planner are all part of the package. Available deployment options include both the cloud and on-premises setups.
Accounting Software for Retail Stores: QuickBooks POS supports common POS functions, including accepting and processing payments, taking returns, and managing stock. Users may now easily manage stock levels, identify when certain goods are running short, and reorder supplies as needed. Information about customers is stored in the system so that users may monitor their purchasing patterns and previous purchases.
The Shipping Manager module allows users to customize shipping labels and invoices, implement discount pricing, monitor layaways, control loyalty program details, and send out products. The point-of-sale software integrates seamlessly with the bookkeeping platform QuickBooks.
Pricing is available on a per-license basis. Access to a support center in the form of a database of commonly-asked questions is provided.
- The consumer is given the choice of using either a debit card or a credit card to make payment.
- It has an inventory management feature on the go. The item-specific margins will be shown to you as well.
- The desktop version of QuickBooks POS. However, the Microsoft Surface® Pro 4 tablet is also supported.
- The customer’s data may be entered into the system with little effort.
- You’re not restricted to only tablets; you may also use a desktop computer.
- There are no annual or monthly subscription options. Just a one-time purchase is available. So, it’s a significant financial outlay.
Basic: $960. A one-time payment is required for this transaction. A Point-of-Sale Payment Account and Software are included.
Pro: Similar to the last item, this one-time investment begins at $1360. A Point-of-Sale Payment Account and Software are Part of the Bundle.
Multi-Store: Additionally, this one-time investment begins at $1520. Hardware and software for point-of-sale transactions.
Which POS System is Right for Your Business?
We compared subscription pricing, hardware expenses, payment gateways, and available features to determine the best POS software for small companies. No doubt Moon POS ranks ahead of all as the best cloud-based pos system.
Here are a few points to remember while selecting the right pos system for your business.
You can only afford to take chances with your client’s personal information, so make sure the card reader you choose is as secure as possible. Choose a PCI and EMV-compliant device and ensure that it encrypts data during transactions.
To provide an exceptional customer experience, connectivity is another crucial aspect to consider. Transacting on a mobile device that supports numerous wireless connections (such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or 2G/3G/4G) is convenient and rapid. The gadget must be adaptable to your individual setting, whether in-store, at a branch, or at the customer’s front door.
Digital/E-receipts that may be Printed and Sent
When a sale is made, you must provide the consumer with a receipt when a deal is made. When only printing was an option, keeping paper records became a hassle. You may now go paperless by opting for electronic charge receipts.
Reliable Data Analysis
Quantitative literacy is essential. If you require numbers at any time, your POS system should be able to provide them instantly. Detailed reporting and analytics remove the guesswork from running a restaurant, including everything from revenue to customer information to labor statistics. Ensure you know whether you can see your store’s reports from any location at any time by asking this question of your provider. How?
Methods to Accept the Payments
Accepting payments through magnetic stripe cards, chip cards (contactless/ NFC payments), QR codes, and SMS signifies a well-designed point-of-sale system. Therefore, while looking for the best point-of-sale system, retailers should prioritize those updates to accommodate modern payment methods like contactless and QR code transactions.
Installment Payment Plan Choice at Point of Sale
As a retailer of high-priced items like designer clothing, cars, etc., offering customers a straightforward payment plan is crucial. These days, most point-of-sale terminals have EMI options built in, so you can turn any purchase into an immediate EMI via several financial institutions, including banks, brand offers, and NBFCs. To top it all off, we can provide quick EMI at the customer’s front door.
Proven Dependable Support
Expert support and training are vital components of every IT system. Choose a partner after doing your homework; one with trained trainers and technicians, round-the-clock assistance, and a stellar reputation for happy customers. You recognize the significance of having POS systems that work smoothly and efficiently. Get yourself a reliable service agreement to safeguard your investment. Inquire about the vendor’s response time and customer satisfaction rates for their support services.
For small businesses, we have reviewed every available point-of-sale system here. The Moon POS system is the Best POS system for small businesses because of its low cost and high functionality.
It doesn’t matter how big or little your company is; you will need the best POS systems from the moment you start selling anything to customers in person. You and your customers will appreciate how POS systems streamline the cash register process by cutting down on waiting time and potential mistakes during the checkout phase.
When it comes to keeping tabs on goods, the best POS systems are invaluable; some models even have the added functionality of ordering new supplies when they run low. Whether you run an online store or a brick-and-mortar shop, you can keep tabs on sales in real time or across locations with the help of the best pos systems equipped with extensive inventory management options.
You may replenish best-sellers and provide discounts on slow-moving goods thanks to real-time data on sales performance. It may also provide peak and off-peak times of day and years for staffing purposes.
Whether you run a brick-and-mortar store, a food truck, or a service company, it offers a point-of-sale system to suit your needs. In addition to low-priced POS billing software, the platform provides a plethora of solutions aimed at helping entrepreneurs manage their teams and expand their businesses online and offline. Moon Invoice allows small businesses to accept payments online on the same day by integrating with Moon POS.
A point-of-sale (POS) system provides valuable insight into consumer behavior, stock levels, and sales patterns for entrepreneurs. In addition, the convenience of mobile solutions, such as one-click purchasing and built-in loyalty programs, benefits customers.